- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 4 large beets, washed well
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded.
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 - 4 Tbsp sugar
- salt and papper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- sour cream and dill for topping
1. Place beets in a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover them. Cover pot and boil until tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from water and set aside to cool.
2. Add broth, carrots,and potatoes to beet water and boil covered for about 15 minutes, then add onions, garlic, cabbage, and diced tomatoes.
3. Peel and dice beets and add to pot for 30 minutes. Add tomato sauce, sugar, dill, salt, and pepper then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes
4. Serve hot topped with sour cream and dill for garnish.